Sunday, September 4, 2011

Truth or Consequences - Lies Women Believe


I have been looking forward to a study of the book "Lies Women Believe - A Life-changing Study for Individuals and Groups" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.  This study is being done by Hallee the Homemaker and is also being posted at Seed of Faith Women.  I recently helped close down a thrift store that was going out of business.  Ironically, I found this book and the Companion Guide at that store and brought it home.  So I was so excited when I heard of this study.  I wrote on my calendar the day this study was suppose to start, but I didn't write where, because I thought I would remember and I didn't have enough room on my calendar.  Yesterday I kept checking my email to see if I could figure out where the study would take place!  I'm so glad I found it. 

One of the questions Hallee asks us is if we feel we are experiencing the abundant life Jesus came to give us?  Or are we just existing, coping, surviving, or struggling along?  I feel extremely blessed.  I have been married to a wonderful man for 28 years.  We have three beautiful adult daughters, and one marvelous grandson.  What I struggle with is the fact that we have a prodigal daughter, and another who has come home, but still has "one foot out the door".  I pray every day that our daughter will see the light and return to the path God has planned for her.  I pray that she will leave the daily situation she has put herself in, and make a life for her and her child that is like the home she grew up in.  I pray that she returns home, but I know that is not likely.  This whole situation with my children is a large stumbling block of mine.  I'm uncertain how to deal with it.  I feel like I should turn away from my children if they aren't living a Godly life, but if I do, what incentive will they have to return?  I just don't know. 

Hallee asks if there is any area of our life that we fear we will never be free?  My children would be that struggle.  I just don't know what the right thing to do is, and if I did know; would I be able to do it? I will keep praying for them as long as I have breath in my body, that they will return to the Lord, and live their lives for Him.

We were asked to make a list of the primary sources of input we have coming into our lives.  These would include such things as TV, Internet, movies, etc.  I would say TV is limited, except for commercials.  I only really watch Fox news and TLC.  But commercials introduce you to information you don't need to be aware of, many times!  Internet would be high on my list, but I don't use social networking sites like Facebook or Myspace.  Just email, newsletters, and Twitter.  I read a tremendous amount of books, the Bible and study materials, magazines, newspapers, etc.  The only other areas I can think of are work and church.

It is very important to be selective about what we allow to take up space in our heads, hearts, and lives because once you allow something in your mind, you can't remove it.  It will always be there.  The devil uses our weaknesses to chip away at us and make us weaker.  He also wants us to think that everyone else is doing it so it must be OK.  I think this was a tactic used with our children.  Although they were raised in a conservative home, they saw so many of their friends homes as different from ours.  In the end, because they saw so few families with rules and lifestyles like ours, they decided that we were "odd" and different.  We were different.  But they were sucked in to the idea that what everyone else was doing was better and more fun.

The premise of this book, I believe, is that we should ask God to show us what lies we believe, that are tripping us up and keeping us from the life we have promised to us.  I look forward to continuing this study.  Thanks for stopping by.  Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment