Thursday, November 17, 2011

Friday: Proverbs 31

I have been thinking a lot recently about the examples of women in the Bible.  There are those who try to follow the Proverbs 31 example.  And Titus is another book that has several followers of Biblical womanhood.  Today I was reading, and saw a family that based their family life on Deuteronomy 32:46-47.  Of course, I had to stop what I was doing and look this verse up.

Amy at Raising Arrows says a lot of things about being a Godly wife.  Things I catch myself pondering at different odd minutes in the day.  I wasn't raised in a church-going family.  My husband isn't a believer.  So my views and ideas of what a Christian wife and mother might look like have changed over the years.  When I was young,  I worked outside the home.  I enjoyed my job and have worked for many years.  I remember thinking that the Bible didn't say that I couldn't work.  I did not see that addressed anywhere.  But as I aged, I become more mature in the Word.  I collect life experiences, and now I see where these examples would probably make life easier and better for everyone, but especially for my family. 

Last night I was aggravated about something.  Then my husband came into the kitchen and got a spoon.  He preceded to get spoonfuls of peanut butter to eat as a snack.  I know I said something to him, complained that he should find another snack, one that hadn't gone up in price 40% in the last few weeks!  Now normally, I am trying to keep him away from the sugar and sweets, because he is diabetic.  So this was a healthy snack, and he really was trying to please me.  And all the time I'm having this bad attitude I'm thinking, "Amy would think he should be able to eat peanut butter if he wants.  She probably would say he works hard and pays for it".  So Amy, if you see this, and you wouldn't have felt that way, I'm sorry.  But I am starting to stop what I'm doing to notice my husband and to think about how to honor my husband and show my appreciation of all he does.

I'm trying to be like those wives in the Bible.  But I know I have a long way to go.  We will be married 29 years next month.  That is a long time.  My husband retired last year, and my children are grown and really don't need me now.  So I need to invest time in this marriage of mine now that I have the time.  We have the opportunity to get to know each other again, and spend time on each other.  I think that sounds nice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment