Sunday, February 5, 2012

It's That Time of Year

It's that time of year on a cattle ranch.  When the weather starts to get warm, and the grass has a little green in it, the cows start to get out of their fence.  Wednesday evening, a neighbor to a pasture we rent, called to tell me he had a black cow in his back yard.  Normally, one cow does not get out by itself.  I called Pappy, and he went to investigate.  I had to pick up GrandBoy, and then went to that pasture to let GrandBoy watch, and see if we could help.

It turned out that only one cow was out.  She was trying to find a quiet place to calf.  Pappy led her back to the pasture with a bucket of feed.

This morning as we were getting ready for church, a neighbor called at a different pasture.  He said three cows, two blacks and a red, were out.  He said they weren't in the road, but told us where they were.  Pappy said they must have gone through two fences to get there!  He got loaded up and was off to see about the cows and that situation.

When we got out of church, Daughter #1 and I went by the store.  When we got back to the farm, I called Pappy to see if he needed me to bring him lunch.  He said he was in the drive and would be at the house in a minute.  He had gotten enough done so he could quit up there for today. 

After Pappy had lunch, he said, "Oh, no.  It has started.  It's that time of year, I guess!".

I hope this is all the incidences of this we have this year. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could do it. I was a city girl before I got married and although it's not the "farm life" that you have, we did move out of the city and into the "laid back" lifestyle with farms down the road a piece. Of course times change and most of the farms are now houses but still not the "city" of my childhood. Hope the rest of "that time of year" is mellow for you all.

    I'm visiting from Exposure 99% weekday hop. Hope you can come visit my blog as well. Starting tomorrow, I am part of a fabulous giveaway for an awesome prize - hope you can join in too. I would love to have someone from my links win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Kat. I'll be sure to stop by and visit you too!

      Delete