Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 22 Donkeys

31 Days of Homestead Living!


Hello friends!  I have been unavailable for a few days.  Computer trouble.  But I hope that is all behind me now.  I was going to write about donkeys Saturday, so that is what I will do today.

My husband told me he wanted me to find a black male donkey to breed our Jennys to.  I put a notice on Craigslist, and you can imagine some of the responses!  But I got one email from a town about an hour from here.  They said they had one, free.  So my husband went to pick it up.  He got there, and there were two men there, and neither seemed to know how to catch the donkey!  There were also a mother and baby donkey.  My husband asked for a price, and that was not an easy decision to come to, either.  Finally they said they would take $150 for the two females.  We usually only pay $50 or less for a donkey, so since we were actually getting 3 for $150, my husband said he would do that.  They eventually got all three donkeys loaded and husband and his friend started for home.  The male donkey was dropped off at the pasture where our females were residing.  The older black female, turns out to be the male's mother, so they don't need to breed.  She and her daughter were brought here to our farm.  GrandBoy thinks she is so cute, and calls her his pony.  He wants to ride her.  We keep telling him he has to have patience.

On the farm we use donkeys to guard the animals.  But males can't be used with the herds, because they will chase and hurt the animals.  They are likely to kill the baby animals.  These new Jennys will be put with the sheep, goats, or cattle at different pastures.  The male will be sold or given away after his services are no longer needed!

 Honey





No comments:

Post a Comment