Friday, October 4, 2013

Day 5 of 31 Days of a Farm Family's Life


Day 5 of 31 Days of a Farm Family's Life

Hi!  Welcome back to our farm.  We are so glad to see you!  Today I got up late, and hurried to make coffee.  I would have logged in to my Hello Mornings Twitter group to check in, but someone hacked my account, so twitter changed my password.  I don't have time to deal with that this morning, so it will have to wait. 

I got the GrandBoy's stuff ready, and threw on some clothes.  Not any time for anything else.  On my way to work, I checked my phone.  One of our new tenants left a message that they had their money due today.  I made an appoint to meet them this afternoon between jobs. 

After my morning job is through, I head to the rental house to collect their rent.   I stop at one house, then met another tenant further down the highway  at a tattoo shop parking lot.  Then I went  to the bank to make a deposit, and started to my second client's home.

When my second job was finished, I posted an eviction at a home where the people are behind.  Then I stopped and paid our daughter's lot rent.  Then I came home.  Didn't make it to the Post office today.

When I got home, Pappy and GrandBoy were napping.  GrandBoy got up when I came in, and we let Pappy sleep.  I started out doing the things I didn't do last night, because I was tired and went to bed.   I picked up a trail of dirty clothes.  I washed dishes, made coffee and iced tea, and fed the chickens. 

My oldest daughter keeps telling me she is out of jelly jars, and I go dig around, and pull out another box or so.  I told her I have jars hidden all over the farm!  She was very impressed.  She made more jelly today, not sure of the kind.  I believe Apple and Peach.  The latest jars were pulled out of the chicken coop.  I remember that I need to look for the "wedding " Bible that the twins were given at birth.  It may take me a year to find it, so oldest daughter can use it in her wedding. 

GrandBoy kept telling me he was hungry.  He wanted a "cheese sammich", in his own words.  So I made him a toasted cheese sandwich.  I had toast and coffee.  He watched TV while I caught up on computer work.

Today Pappy worked around the farm.  His farm chores started at about 8:30 when he found the goats out, again!  It is rut season.  He moved them to a new pasture, and walked the fence to find out where they are getting out.  He thinks that problem is solved. 

Next he fed the small animals, and watered the chickens.  He filled the cows' water tanks.  GrandBoy lost his kitten, so Pappy found it and put in away.  He took GrandBoy to school. 

Pappy watered and checked on the bamboo shoots we are trying to get started on the farm.  Everyone says we will be sorry we tried this, but we want to use it as an alternative food source for the animals.  So we will see.  The desk will also use this area as a shelter when the have ducklings.

Pappy picked up our middle daughter and they went to one of the hay fields that will be cut this weekend, to work on the gates so the hay cutter can get inside.  After he picked up GrandBoy this afternoon, he went to the Co-op to buy more fence posts, weed killer, and an excavator.

Pappy went to the trailer park to pick up some rent.  This was a good rent day!  While there, he counted the goats up there, and we were missing two.  Pappy walked the pasture and found them.  Some little girls were feeding them, so they didn't want to go with the heard, or come when called!

Now it is 11:30 at night, and Pappy has gone to the water turn off valve to be sure he cut if off.  Then he plans to take a shower and go to bed.

I am finishing up here.  I just wrote the grocery list for this weekend.  We are very lucky that we don't have to buy much.  We raise all our own meat, and most of our fruit and vegetables.  We can even produce some of our own dairy.  So our grocery bill is usually between $60 - 90 a week.  That is high to us, but then I hear what others pay.  I can't believe it.  I'm so thankful that we don't have to depend on a store for our food.  Tomorrow our list is:  3 gallons milk, cranberry juice, tea bags, stevia, 10 pounds sugar, biscuits, 4 miniature pumpkins, tortillas, 2 dozen eggs, sour cream, fruit, salad vegetables, microwavable macaroni and cheese, dish soap, and peroxide. 

Well, I guess that is enough here today.  Hope you all have a blessed and we will talk to you tomorrow.  Honey







No comments:

Post a Comment